In a previous post, we have discussed what is browser compatibility testing. And in this post, we are going to discuss that how can we perform compatibility testing. Before discussing further, Let us first revise a bit about compatibility testing.
Browser compatibility testing simply means testing your website or application on different browsers. Compatibility testing also called cross-browser testing.
BROWSER COMPATIBILITY TESTING IS PERFORMED BY
It is tester's responsibility to determine that which browser should be chosen as there are millions of browser present.
Other personalities like the client, business analysis, and marketing team also take a healthy competition.
Sometimes companies also keep in mind that which browser is mostly used or you can say which browser attract more traffic and then the browser is chosen accordingly.
Whoever performs compatibility or cross-browser testing, but final results are thoroughly examined by design and development team and relevant changes are performed by them only.
HOW BROWSER COMPATIBILITY TESTING IS PERFORMED????
The first thing to think about browser compatibility testing is whether that browser compatibility testing is done manually or by using tools?
So the answer to this question is that cross-browser testing can be done manually, But as due to the involvement of multiple browsers, multiple system, and multiple operating systems, many problems occur so in order to cope up with this complex situation we are provided with various related tools in order to make our work easier and more efficient.
- As discussed earlier, traffic scenarios are considered to judge which browser should be tested
- Sometimes tester often confuses that what part of AUT(Application under test) is to be tested or if all of it at once, but I should tell you that the basic strategy, in this case, is to test 100% features of AUT on one platform or browser and on remaining platforms just check the vital feature or functionality
- After determine that what feature of AUT is to be tested on which browser, the testing team aims to discuss various other things like risk, time and cost, which sort of people to be included, issue tracking schedules etc.
- The fourth step in browser compatibility testing is to write various test cases in order to a validate the efficiency of the system.
- After validating or executing various test cases. Testing team pass on the results to the develop/design team.
- In order to manage cost and time, Compatibility testing should also be started in initial stages.
- Cross browser testing is performed on one of the following:
- Production environment