A Regression testing is the part of testing carried out to ensure that the changes made in fixes & any growth of changes are not impacting antecedently (previously) working functionality. It’s executed after augmentation and the defect fixes in software & its environment. It can be arduous to determine how much retesting is needed, specifically near the end of development cycle.
In another words, A Regression testing is the activity of testing changes to the computer’s program to make sure that previous programming still works with new changes.
Types of the Regression Testing
There are mainly two types of regression testing:
1. Regular Regression Testing.
2. Final Regression Testing.
Regular Regression Testing:
Regular Regression testing is complete between the test cycles & to ensure that the defects fixes that are done & functionality that were the working with earlier test cycle continue with the work.
Final Regression Testing:
Final regression testing is performing to validate the builds that has not changed for the period of time. This build is deployed and shipped to customers.
A quick guide helps you in a systemized regression testing:
a. Allocates the time for testing. As the time is the first duress (constraints) for all software testers, they have to be proficient enough to provide for the sufficient coverage of all software’s fields in short time.
b. Fix all the contributing factors. There are the cases when even with it is the defects fixed and the product does not operate as intended. This often caused by developer’s failures and to fix root the issues of defects and fixing just secondary ones. Therefore, it is very critical to find all the causative factors to fix them before the rest.
c. Be mindful with fixed bugs. Seldom, when the developers fix the definite bugs, they may the cause of new ones that can go un-noticed. That is why, when executing regression tests, testers should be alert or vigilant.
d. Points on the functional aspects. During the regression testing only those issues affecting application’s functionality should be taken into idea. Design the aspects that are equally vital, however in most of cases you should not spend the time on them.
e. Builds you’re regression tests suite. Creating such the suites is helpful in order to exposes the bug’s when software is re-tested.
Methodologies of regression testing:
The test methodology for the regression testing:
1. Understanding criteria to selects the test cases for Regression Testing.
2. Prioritization of the test cases.
3. Methodology for select the test cases.
4. Re-setting test cases for the test run.
5. Concluding the outcome of a regression test cycle
Benefits of regression testing:
1. A Regression testing increases the chances of detecting the bugs caused through the changes to a software & application both enhancements and defect fixes.
2. A Regression testing is also detects the un-desirable side caused always through the changing of the operating environments.
3. Set about regression tests is too useful for a new path about doing the integration testing. This is the new mode is quite faster or little confusing than old path about doing the integration testing.